It’s Cool to Be SQUARE
Ready, Set, SQUARE! In October we will host our 6th annual SQUARE Show—an eclectic array of 6″x6″ works of arts created by Art Alliance members and friends with widespread artistic abilities. SQUARES are donated to the Art Alliance and become available for purchase online. Sales help support year-round Art Alliance programs for adults and children.
What is truly special about this show is SQUARES are purchased because they are loved. Artist’s signatures are allowed only on the back of their artwork and are not revealed until after purchased, making it fun to figure out whose work is whose while leveling the playing field for all SQUARE creators. For this reason, anyone and everyone, regardless of perceived artistic capability or lack thereof, is encouraged to create a SQUARE or as many SQUARES as you like!
Media and Approaches for SQUARE Artists
Not sure how to get started? One approach is to use familiar media and subjects. Another is to experiment with new materials, processes, and subjects of your choice. SQUARES from previous years incorporated one or more of the following ideas:
- Drawings (artist’s choice of surface, tools, and subject matter)
- Paintings on stretched canvas, paper, or board
- Printmaking processes of all types on any surface
- Low relief fired ceramic works
- Mosaics (any materials)
- Handmade papers
- Recycled materials used in a representational way or as one of pure design
- Experimental materials and approaches like kiln melted glass
- Artist’s signature and title (optional) must be on the back of the work only
- Works must be unframed and free of hanging devices like wire, hooks, etc.
- Paper artworks should be attached to matboard, foamcore, plywood, or other rigid 6”x6” surface
- Dimensions must be 6″x6″ for 2D artwork and 6″x6″x6″ for 3D artwork
As many of our members are, once again, showing their work in person at Arts Fest and other local exhibition venues, we look to the future of our organization with great optimism and exciting plans. 2022 promises to return many of our classes and exhibitions to pre-Covid levels. The last three years have tested our resolve and our finances. We now ask your support and participation in our rebound from these difficult financial times.
Our annual SQUARE fundraiser, which is in its 6th year, remains a vital revenue source. While many friends of our organization donate and purchase SQUARES, the bulk of our work comes from our members. We ask that those of you who have made and donated work in the past continue your tradition and that those members who have not participated in the past consider becoming part of our effort. The SQUARE event is meant to be fun for both the makers and buyers of SQUARES.
—Jim Bright, 2022 SQUARE Show Chair
The show and the sale are one and the same. The “show” part is a 24-hour preview of all of the SQUARES the day before they are available for purchase. All SQUARES are priced the same and sold on a first-come-first-serve basis, thus the importance of the preview if you fall in love with a particular SQUARE. Remember, artists names and titles are not revealed until purchase is complete.
Dates and times to remember!
- Drop off for donated SQUARES: October 14 from 4-6:00 pm at Art Alliance Center
- Preview of SQUARES: October 20 at 6:00 pm
- SQUARE sales begin: October 21 at 6:00 pm
- Last day to purchase SQUARES: October 31