- This event has passed.
Silver Jewelry Bead Making with Precious Metal Clay (PMC)
January 22 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$165
Due to unforeseen circumstances, this workshop has been canceled. However, plans are in the works to offer it again in the spring so check back!
Instructor: Wendy Schuster, firstname.lastname@example.org
Beads and bead stringing have always enjoyed popularity in creating pieces for personal adornment. In this class the student will learn how to make their own one-of-a-kind Fine Silver beads in a style that is uniquely their own using an amazing material called Precious Metal Clay (PMC).
PMC is exactly what its name describes—metal, but in the form of clay! The clay body of PMC is made up of microscopic particles of metal, in this case fine silver, held together by an organic binder and water. Like other types of clay, PMC can easily be sculpted, molded and impressed with textures or stamps. The truly unique difference between other clay bodies and PMC is that during firing, PMC’s binders and water burn off allowing the silver particles to fuse into SOLID metal!!
During this workshop the instructor will teach two methods to create hollow forms or beads: a dry construction technique, which involves the assembly of two or more dry PMC pieces to create a hollow bead, as well as forming the PMC around a combustible core that will burn out during the firing process. Due to drying time, pre-made combustible cores will be provided by the instructor.
Taking a Beginner’s PMC class would be helpful, but is not required.
- Mature teens (15+) who are comfortable working independently within a group of adults are welcome to register.
- Firing and polishing of the student’s work is included in the class fee but will not occur during class time due to time constraints. Upon request, antiquing/patina can be added to finished pieces by instructor for $1 per piece.
- Finished pieces will be returned to The Art Alliance and available for pick up approximately 1 week following the original class date. If desired, finished pieces can also be mailed for a fee of $5.50 to cover careful packing, packaging, postage and insurance.
- A $65 fee is added to each registration for the PMC Clay.
- Instructor’s tools, stamps, molds, and textures will be made available for student use during the workshop.
The workshop fee is $100 for Art Alliance members ($120 for non-members) plus $65 materials fee payable during registration.
All workshops will practice COVID-19 safety protocols which include: small classes to allow for social distancing, hand sanitizer on the premises, students will wipe down their worktables and stools at the end of class, and masks are required regardless of vaccination status. In the event a workshop is cancelled, students may choose a refund or credit toward future classes.