- This event has passed.
Silver Jewelry Making with Precious Metal Clay for Beginners (10/2)
October 2, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$120.00
Silver Jewelry Making with Precious Metal Clay for Beginners
October 2, Saturday, 10am–4pm
with instructor Wendy Schuster
Do you have a desire to make jewelry but are intimidated because you think you need extensive training?
Come learn how to make beautiful fine silver jewelry using a truly amazing material called Precious Metal Clay (PMC).
PMC is exactly what its name describes – metal, but in the form of clay! The clay body of PMC is made up of microscopic particles of metal, in this case fine silver, held together by an organic binder and water. Like other types of clay, PMC can easily be sculpted, molded and impressed with textures or stamps. The truly unique difference between other clay bodies and PMC is that during firing, PMC’s binders and water burn off allowing the silver particles to fuse into SOLID metal!!
During this FUN workshop students will be taught a variety of basic techniques that will enable them to create their own one of a kind silver creations. Techniques covered: stamping and texture, creating bails, and torch firing.
- Mature teens (15+) who are comfortable working independently within a group of adults are welcome to register.
- Firing and polishing of the student’s work is included in the class fee but will not occur during class time due to time constraints. Upon request, antiquing/patina can be added to finished pieces by instructor for $1 per piece.
- Finished pieces will be returned to The Art Alliance and available for pick up no more than 1 week following the original class date. If desired, finished pieces can also be mailed for a fee of $4.75 to cover careful packing, packaging, postage and insurance.
- A $65 fee is added to each registration for the PMC Clay.
- Instructor’s tools, stamps, molds, and textures will be made available for student use during the workshop.