Make Silver Jewelry with Precious Metal Clay
With instructor Wendy Schuster
It’s not too early to start creating holiday gifts! Learn how to make beautiful fine silver jewelry using a truly amazing material called Precious Metal Clay (PMC). Don’t be intimidated—this class is for beginners!
PMC is exactly what its name describes – metal, but in the form of clay! The clay body of PMC is made up of microscopic particles of metal, in this case fine silver, held together by an organic binder and water. Like other types of clay, PMC can easily be sculpted, molded and impressed with textures or stamps. The truly unique difference between other clay bodies and PMC is that during firing, PMC’s binders and water burn off allowing the silver particles to fuse into SOLID metal!!
During this fun workshop students will be taught a variety of basic techniques that will enable them to create their own one-of-a-kind silver creations. Techniques covered: stamping and texture, creating bails, and torch firing.
- Mature teens (15+) who are comfortable working independently within a group of adults are welcome to register.
- Firing and polishing of the student’s work is included in the class fee but will not occur during class time due to time constraints. Upon request, antiquing/patina can be added to finished pieces by the instructor for $1 per piece.
- Finished pieces will be returned to Art Alliance and available for pick up approximately 1 week following the original class date; or finished pieces can be mailed for a fee of $5.50 to cover careful packing, packaging and postage (insurance is optional at an additional cost).
- $110 (members) $130 (non-members) + $65 materials fee
- materials fee is non-refundable